Thursday, June 18, 2009

Memories

Six years isn't really a long time in the scheme of things, but my memories of the kids as babies are fading already, so here are a few I don't want to forget.

When Ethan was a baby, he was terrified of the blinds. As in, the ones hanging on our windows. I have no idea why. He loved buses, and he called trucks "bigs". The Wiggles was his favorite show, but he couldn't pronounce it. He called them The Awahs. Loud noises terrified him. He could be sleeping downstairs in the basement and if someone opened a soda can in the kitchen, it would wake him up. He was very much Daddy's boy, except when it came to getting him to sleep. Then only Mom would do.

Annie called breastfeeding "moe". She would tell me she wanted some moe whenever she wanted to nurse. She loved the Teletubbies, especially La-La. After Ethan only wanting Aaron, it was a change to have my first in a series of Mommy's girls. She rode everywhere in the Baby Bjorn. She was independent from the start, and didn't like to be held when sleeping. She would fuss until we laid her in her bed, and then stretch out contentedly. She was scared of all men except Aaron until she was almost a year old. Her grandpas, her uncles - none of them could hold her without her screaming.

When Meghan was born, her breath smelled like sugar. Really. And it lasted for almost the entire first year of her life. I remember just breathing her in for the longest time after she would fall asleep. It was intoxicating. When she nursed, she wouldn't stop until she ate so much she gagged, every time. It never seemed to bother her. She was the easiest, most content baby, and she immediately fit right in to our family. She slept well, ate well, and hardly ever cried. Little did I know....

Sweet Gracie. I am so glad I started this blog so I won't forget all of these little things about her.

No comments: