Harvest season is upon us. And if you have seen the size of the yard my husband calls a garden, we are pretty busy. Zucchini and summer squash coming out of our ears and a few other orifices. I've been baking and freezing like crazy. We also have an abundance of jalapenos and tomatoes and we bought 2 bushels of peaches, so we've been canning like madmen. And it ain't over yet. Double edged sword - I'm very grateful to have some food storage taken care of and that our garden is doing so well, but I'm very tired. We can only bottle the stuff after the kids have gone to bed because the babies (Meghan and Gracie) don't stay out of the kitchen very well, and the jars get HOT. So we stay up late.
Gracie is driving me nuts with the dishwasher. She has radar for whenever I open it, and runs as fast a child who can only crawl can, to attempt to climb in and pull stuff out. When it's closed, she'll go over and just bang on the door. Maybe I can get her loading it before she's a year old.
The kids have a few games of pretend that they have been playing a lot lately, and the names crack me up. They have one called Baby and Brother, and one called Honey and Mommy. So whoever's being Mommy will say, "C'mon, Honey, it's time to go!" I think I've called them Honey so much they think it's an actual name. And with Baby and Brother, it doesn't matter who is playing the older sibling (boy or girl kid), it's always Brother, and the one who is playing Baby has to talk in a baby voice. Whatever. My kids are weird.
The other pretend game that Annie and Meghan play cracks me up. It's Sally and Sarah. They are basically just themselves, but with new names. But what makes me laugh is that Meghan came up with the names. All of her dolls are named either Sally or Sarah. And my Grandma Sullivan, who died the day after Meghan's 1st birthday, was named Sarah, but everyone called her Sally. I swear she's up in heaven implanting these ideas in Meggie's head. "Hey, Baby Pot-Pie - name all your dolls after Grammy. And use my name when you're playing make-believe, too. Love you a million dollars worth. "
Oh, and Meghan has multiple personalities. In addition to just regular old Meghan, there is Coco-Baby (a baby girl), Kitty, and Puppy. She talks in a quite annoying high-pitched voice whenever she is one of these creatures, and refuses to even acknowledge you if you don't call her by the right name. Let's just call her creative instead of strange.
So, that's what's new here. Always an adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Hahaha! Sounds like an adventure at your house! And I always have canned late at night for the same reason. Someday I plan on putting these kids to WORK instead of staying up all night by myself!! Glad your garden is doing so well!
Post a Comment