Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crappy Week - Literally

Warning - this post contains much venting, and a good bit of grossness. If you don't want to read it, I understand, but you have been given fair warning.

A week ago Friday, I took Gracie into the doctor because I thought she had a hemorrhoid. Call me crazy, but I figured that wasn't normal in a one-year old. Unfortunately, you could only see while she was pooping, so the doctor couldn't really see anything. She's had trouble pooping since she was about 10 months old, so they finally gave her some Miralax and said to bring her back if it wasn't much better in a couple of weeks. By Wednesday, it looked much worse. I called, and they said to give it until at least Monday and call back. Friday, it looked like she had a horrible case of hemorrhoids, so I said I wasn't going to wait any more and they worked her into the schedule. I took pictures (that was fun) so the doctor could see exactly what I was talking about. As soon as I showed him the pictures, he told me, "That's not hemorrhoids. That's a prolapsed rectum. " In essence, her rectum is actually falling out of her body. Then he said, "I'll be right back - I have to go check something." Twenty minutes later, he returned, and the next thing I know, I am rushing off to Davis Hospital's lab to have Gracie tested for Cystic Fibrosis. Turns out, 20% of kids who get a rectal prolapse have Cystic Fibrosis. Not exactly what I had been expecting.

Thank God, after an absolutely agonizing wait, we found out the next day that she did not have Cystic Fibrosis. Huge relief. The prognosis for people with CF is not great. However, we are now having her tested for Celiac Disease (a gluten intolerance), as well as some other food allergies. She has to go the the pediatric gastroenterolgist at Primary Children's, and she will most likely have to have surgery at Primary's as well. It is not an easy surgery. It is a major abdominal surgery that includes a hospital stay of 3 - 7 days.

So do what you do - pray, meditate, light a candle, throw clams at the sun - I don't really care. My baby girl can use all the good thoughts she can get right now.

3 comments:

Turpin Times said...

I'm sorry Kris. We will add her to our prayers.

Laurelberry said...

I am so sorry Kris, we will be thinking of all of you. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you - seriously, anything. *Big hug*

Natalie said...

Oh, Kris! How awful! You are totally justified to vent! I will definitely add her to my prayers. Hang in there, my friend, even if it's just by your fingernails. The doctors and staff at Primary's are awesome! (Yes, sadly, I do have some experience, though nothing as severe as yours). I am glad you caught it and were such a proactive mom. I would be happy to watch your other kids if you need someone. Let me know, ok? Love ya!