My sweet baby isn't so much a baby anymore. :( Gracie turned a year old on November 11th. In some ways, it feels as though she has always been here, always been a part of our family. In others, I am stunned that it has been a year. I remember her birth as if it were yesterday. My first natural birth, the first I truly felt as if birth happened the way it is meant to happen. I have always tried to give birth naturally, and I have not felt unhappy with any of my births except Ethan's (it is really a miracle and a blessing that I did not end up with an unnecessary C-Section with him. Stupid doctor. ), but her birth made made me even more of an advocate for women being educated about their body's God-given ability to give birth, for not thinking that doctors know your body and your baby better than you do. How a woman gives birth is a very personal decision, but it needs to be an educated decision. So many women do not even realize that they have a choice. There are choices. C-sections do not always mean you have to have a C-section again, even if you have had more than one. You can choose a midwife instead of a doctor. You can choose a home birth instead of a hospital birth. You can hire a doula to attend your birth and advocate for your choices. You can choose to move around during labor instead of being in a bed. Know your options. Choose what feels right to you, but know there are choices. Heavenly Father created the childbirth process - doctors cannot improve upon His perfect plan.
My soap box isn't natural childbirth - I know that not everyone wants that. My soap box is being educated. So now I'll get off that soapbox, and talk about Gracie being a year old. We had a little family party for her, and she LOVED the cake and ice cream.
And of course I had to decorate, even though Gracie couldn't have cared less.
We love Gracelyn so much. She has added so much love and joy to our home and family. She loves her brother and sisters, and she gives great hugs. Our life would not be complete without her. And I'll save my rant advocating breastfeeding for another day. :)









No comments:
Post a Comment