
Oh, my friends. The Star Trek Convention. The Hilton. Las Vegas. August 2010. This event will go down in history as one of the best people-watching experiences EVER. Awesome.
Now, let me preface by saying I am a Trekkie. I have seen every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation at least 3 times. I read all the novels (that's right - there are novels. Hey, my dad is the one who bought them. I just read them.). I have chosen my favorite captain (Picard, by a landslide). I can tell you what a red shirt is. I cried when Ryker shut Data off. I can tell you my favorite episode (Picard's alternate life where he learns to play the flute), and my favorite enemy race (the Borg). And I LOOOVVEEE Worf. Love him. That fetching Klingon.
So all of this is said with affection. About 10 years ago, Aaron and I saw a documentary called Trekkies. If you know anything at all about Star Trek, (and if you don't, how are you my friend?!! ) this movie is a must-see. Ever since we saw it, we have wanted to go to a Star Trek convention. These people are hard core. I am a fan. They are fanatics. Hey, more power to ya. There are certainly worse things to get involved in. So my friend Shana mentioned that they were going to Vegas for a family vacation. To a Star Trek convention. My ears perked up, and I invited myself. That's just how I roll. Nah - I figured it was near enough to my birthday that I could make it my birthday present for about the next 10 years.
My mom and dad watched the older 3 kids (thank you, gracias, merci beaucoup), and we took Gracie with us. Shana ended up bailing and not even going (Shana - if you are reading this, you missed out, my friend!), but we had a fantastic time. Gracie did awesome on the drive, and after walking the streets of Vegas, I'm really glad we didn't take the older kids. Seriously. Not exactly family-friendly.
We packed a ton into our 3 1/2 days, so I'm just going to post the Star Trek pictures in this post. The convention went from Thursday through Sunday, but we only went on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, it was a little slow. We were even kind of wondering what in the heck we were going to do to fill all the time on Saturday. But Saturday, well, Saturday was all I dreamed it would be. Costumes everywhere. William Shatner sightings. Patrick Stewart surprising the audience while William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were on stage. Feast your eyes upon these:

Aaron with Darth Vader. Why the guy was dressed up as Darth Vader at a Star Trek Convention, I don't really understand. He's gonna get himself killed.These guys made for a pretty good Picard and Cisco. Don't know who the girl in the red bikini is supposed to be, but she was very popular. :)

Me with Lore, Data's evil twin. The same guy is Data in the next picture. He looked quite a bit like Brent Spiner. He had great costumes, and he was pushing a triple stroller with his 3 little kids. They were all dressed up, too.


Man, I wish I could have gotten a better picture of this guy. He was wearing a Starfleet minidress uniform. Umm, okay.



This is William Shatner and Patrick Stewart on stage. I swear. It's the only picture I got of Patrick Stewart. He wasn't supposed to be at the convention until Sunday, but he surprised the audience by walking out on to the stage on Saturday. He was only there for a couple of minutes, but it made my day. If he had said , "Tea. Earl Gray. Hot. ", I'm pretty sure my knees would have buckled.
Kirk and Spock on stage. I had my better zoom lens on for this one. Love Leonard Nimoy. Not as much as Picard, but still.
I don't really know what a UFC Vulcan is, or what character wore a shiny silver 2-piece dress, but hey, they dressed up.The Terminator.
I'm pretty sure I just shattered any previous record I had for pictures in a post, but it was well worth it.



























No comments:
Post a Comment