Wednesday, June 1, 2011

From Kaitlin's Blog

My friend Kaitlin posted this on her blog about a week ago.  I asked her if I could repost here so that I would have a copy when I print off my blog book.  I am so blessed to have her as a friend! It does make me laugh that she thinks Aaron and I are patient, though. :) Here is her post in its entirety:
One of the reasons I blog so often is because I want to get my feelings and emotions written down while they are raw.  It's often difficult for me to capture my feelings once a day or two has passed.  This time, though, I had to wait because I needed to ask permission to write this post.

Our next door neighbors, the Wood's, are an amazing family.  They have been our neighbors ever since we moved to Utah and I'm so glad that they're who we're living next to.  Their kids are adorable.  Meghan and Iva are great friends, and I'm sure as Asher & Gracie get older they'll be great play buddies, too.

Meet the Wood family: Kris, Annie, Meghan, Gracie, Ethan and Aaron.
This beautiful family has been through so much in the past year and  half or so.  Their faith and ability to continue moving forward constantly amazes me. 

There are a select few mother's in my life that I look to for ideas, advice, lessons and encouragement and Kris is one of them.  She is constantly patient.  She is always doing something fun, creative and engaging with her children.  She cooks, she cleans, she drives to and from school, karate, dance, tumbling.  She is hilarious.  Her husband, Aaron, can often be found working in their family garden or playing in the backyard with their kids.  I've never seen him lose his patience with his kids, either.  Ethan, Annie, Meghan and Gracie are all sweet kids.  They're funny.  They each have their own distinct personality and over the few years that we've known them it's been so fun to get to know each of them.

On December 24, 2010 Kris gave birth to their stillborn son, Lucas "Luke" Charles Wood.  Josh was called and asked to go over to their house to give Kris a blessing the night before.  He came back with tears streaming down his face, and I couldn't hold back, either.  As we were expecting Toa at the time it hit close to home.  I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain that Kris and Aaron were feeling and how they would explain their loss to their young children.  I still can't.  My heart ached for their family then, and it still does today.
(The Wood family with their baby angel Luke)

Luke's due-date was last Friday, May 20.  To celebrate his life the Wood's held a balloon release at his grave site.  We were invited to attend and we felt honored that Kris & Aaron would invite us to be a part of their angel's life.

Over the course of the day Iva and I had a few special conversations about why we were getting the balloons, what we were doing with them, and why.  She knew that Meghan had a baby brother who died, but that's a big concept for a 3 year old to understand. 

As I explained to Iva that we were going to get the balloons for Luke she, at first, didn't understand why we would get him balloons if he had died.  I explained to her that we were going to send them up in the sky towards heaven to celebrate his life.  She quickly responded with "We're going to send the balloons to heaven so Luke can celebrate his birthday with Jesus?"  I told her yes, and that even though Luke isn't here on Earth with us that it was still his special day and that we wanted him to know that we love him.
We were also able to talk about how when we get married in the temple that means that our families can be together forever.  It means that even if someone in our family dies that we can still live with them when we go up to heaven, too.  I've often heard Meghan talk about Luke and she always tells Iva that even though Luke died "he still lives in our hearts."  Iva repeated that to me on Friday.

As we pulled into the memorial gardens where little Luke is buried Iva calmed down and got very quiet.  She knew, without me telling her, that it was Luke's special place.  When we got out of the car and I took her over to see Luke's tombstone she got very quiet, very still, hugged me, and she had tears forming in her eyes.  Luke's tombstone is engraved with a picture of Jesus lifting a sweet baby in his arms.  Iva saw that and told me that Luke was with Heavenly Father and she looked at the sky.  It was a special moment for me, as a mom.  I know that Iva felt Luke's spirit.  I know that she felt the Holy Ghost and that in that moment her testimony of "families can be together" grew immensely.

It's beautiful to see such young children feel the Spirit, even though they don't know exactly what it is or how to deal with that feeling.  They're still so close to God in such a special way.  Their innocence is beautiful in that it allows them to know God, to feel Him and to know His primary truths.  It's in those moments, when I see my sweet, beautiful daughter feel the Spirit or say her own prayer that I know that even though I'm not a perfect mother, I'm doing something right as a parent. 

I am grateful for the knowledge that families really and truly can be together, literally, forever.  I can't imagine going through life not knowing what will happen to us later.  Even if I were to be in heaven with God, I'm not positive that I would want to be there without my husband, my children, and the rest of my family.

My heart will continue to hurt for Kris and her family.  It's hard to know what to say, or how to act, but I know she knows I love her. 

I'm so grateful for their little family.  For all that they've taught me.  For the example that they offer.  For the friendship that we share.

And for allowing us to know Luke.

No comments: