
Last week, Aaron and I went to a class/demo by Green Smoothie Girl. Her real name is Robyn Openshaw, and I've been reading her blog for quite a while. She teaches nutrition focusing on green smoothies, which are drinks made with all sorts of green vegetables and then combined with water and fruit. It is a fast and easy way to get a lot of nutrition in just a little time, and they taste pretty good. My awesome BlendTec blender makes them perfectly. One quart of green smoothie is 12-15 servings of greens and fruit.
The class was at Dragonfly Health Foods in Ogden. Robyn talked about what's missing in the American diet, and why kids today are fatter than ever. She is LDS, so she referred to following the do's of the Word of Wisdom, and not just the don'ts, which I love. She demoed the green smoothies and asked for a volunteer who makes them regularly. Aaron volunteered me, so I got to go up and make the smoothie that I make for my kids and myself. I'm actually going to teach a class on them for my MOMS Club next month.


If anyone is interested in finding out more, you can check out Robyn's site - greensmoothiegirl.com. It's free, and it has lots of good information. This is the template recipe that she uses for her smoothies:
3 cups water/ice
1/4 cup agave (I use 2 packets of stevia)
Greens, added and blended up to the 6-cup line of the blender (Spinach is mildest for kids, but we also use swiss chard, kale, collard greens, and beet greens.)
Fruit, added and blended up to the 9-cup line in the blender (We use anything and everything. I really like bananas because they make the smoothie creamier. We love the frozen mixed berries from Costco, too. I normally add a couple carrots. Apples, pears, oranges, lemons, peaches, plums - they're all good.)
By no means do we have a perfect diet. Aaron and I have crappier diets than our kids. But my kids eat tons of fruits and vegetables, and we improve every day.

1 comment:
Go Kris!
Post a Comment