I posted this on facebook on Luke's birthday.
Our son Luke was stillborn on December 24, 2010. On his first birthday, I decided to do 19 acts of kindness in honor of the 19 weeks I was blessed and privileged to carry him.
1. Donated fabric to Utah Share (the organization that helped us when he was born)
2. Donated scrapbook paper to Utah Share
3. Bought a $25 Applebee's gift certificate and applied it to a family's bill
4. Left a gift for our mail carrier
5. Decorated a friend's baby's grave for Christmas when she wasn't able to
6. Bought a gift for a baby Luke's age and donated it to Toys for Tots
7. The kids made Christmas cards and we brought them to an assisted living facility and delivered them to the residents
8. Brought a plant for a mom who just had a loss and delivered it anonymously to the hospital. We just had the nurse tell her it was from someone who'd been there
9. Delivered cookies to our local firefighters
10. Left coloring books and crayons in some hospital waiting rooms
11. Brought breakfast treats to a few neighbors who were especially kind after Luke passed away
12. Brought treats to the local post office for the employees who are always helpful when I go there
13. Gave a few books on pregnancy / infant loss to some friends
14. Donated some memory boxes to Share (well, they are in my car waiting to donate them, but they are purchased, and I tried:))
15. Taped money to a couple of vending machines
16. Made a Christmas graphic for all of my friends who have lost babies
17. Went to Wal-Mart and found a couple with a cartful of toys and wrapping paper, gave them $10 and wished them Merry Christmas
18. Put quarters in bubblegum and toy machines
19. Took treats to the Labor and Delivery nurses at the hospital where I had Luke
None of these things were huge, but I hope our baby knew we were thinking of him every time, and that he is helping to make us better people. Love you forever, Luke.
I was amazed by the response. People I didn't even know commented on it. Some even did their own act of kindness because of it.
You're changing the world, baby boy.
Our son Luke was stillborn on December 24, 2010. On his first birthday, I decided to do 19 acts of kindness in honor of the 19 weeks I was blessed and privileged to carry him.
1. Donated fabric to Utah Share (the organization that helped us when he was born)
2. Donated scrapbook paper to Utah Share
3. Bought a $25 Applebee's gift certificate and applied it to a family's bill
4. Left a gift for our mail carrier
5. Decorated a friend's baby's grave for Christmas when she wasn't able to
6. Bought a gift for a baby Luke's age and donated it to Toys for Tots
7. The kids made Christmas cards and we brought them to an assisted living facility and delivered them to the residents
8. Brought a plant for a mom who just had a loss and delivered it anonymously to the hospital. We just had the nurse tell her it was from someone who'd been there
9. Delivered cookies to our local firefighters
10. Left coloring books and crayons in some hospital waiting rooms
11. Brought breakfast treats to a few neighbors who were especially kind after Luke passed away
12. Brought treats to the local post office for the employees who are always helpful when I go there
13. Gave a few books on pregnancy / infant loss to some friends
14. Donated some memory boxes to Share (well, they are in my car waiting to donate them, but they are purchased, and I tried:))
15. Taped money to a couple of vending machines
16. Made a Christmas graphic for all of my friends who have lost babies
17. Went to Wal-Mart and found a couple with a cartful of toys and wrapping paper, gave them $10 and wished them Merry Christmas
18. Put quarters in bubblegum and toy machines
19. Took treats to the Labor and Delivery nurses at the hospital where I had Luke
None of these things were huge, but I hope our baby knew we were thinking of him every time, and that he is helping to make us better people. Love you forever, Luke.
I was amazed by the response. People I didn't even know commented on it. Some even did their own act of kindness because of it.
You're changing the world, baby boy.






1 comment:
I think this is beautiful, Kris. You came up with some really meaningful yet simply achieved ways to make the world a little brighter. I find it inspiring.
Post a Comment