Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Birthday Cake and Countdown


Every year, we bake a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve, and we leave that out for Santa instead of cookies. We got home from the hospital after I gave birth to Luke a little after noon, and I still wanted to make the cake and keep the day as normal as possible for the kids. Since it was Luke's birthday too, we made a joint cake. I was glad I got a chance to make a cake for my baby boy on his birthday, as well as for the baby who gives us the chance to be with him again.

Singing happy birthday was bittersweet, to say the least. Every night, we also do a countdown to Christmas. We count the days, sing a Christmas carol, and eat a hershey kiss. Christmas eve is the only night the kids don't pick the song. It is always Silent Night. The words about killed me that night.

Round yon virgin,
Mother and child.
Holy infant,
so tender and mild.
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Sleep in heavenly peace, baby boy. Until we meet again.

No comments: