Saturday, February 19, 2011

Luke's Graveside Service


Luke's viewing and graveside service were on Wednesday, December 29, 2010. It was really important to me to get it done before the new year. I naively thought that if I could just get a fresh start in 2011, things would be better. Well, things are a bit better, but it certainly didn't happen magically when the calendar turned to 2011.

We kept both his viewing and his service relatively private. The viewing was just Aaron and I, our kids, and our parents. We also had a fantastic photographer, Teresa Allen from Jealous Turtle Photography, who donated her time through an organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. It even turns out that our kids go to the same school. Because of her, we were able to get pictures of our entire family, as well as individual pictures of each the kids with Luke. As soon as I get those pictures loaded on my computer, I'll post them. These ones were just taken with my little camera.


Our whole family


We were able to print off one of the family pictures to put in Luke's casket, as well as notes that Aaron and I wrote to him, pictures and notes from the other kids, a story my dad wrote for him, and a bear that said "My First Christmas" that Ethan picked out for him. He was wrapped in a piece of Aaron's blanket that Aaron has had since he was a kid.

Myers Mortuary donated their services to us, and Evergreen Memorial Park donated the plot in the cemetery where he is buried. We are so grateful.

I didn't get many pictures at the graveside service because of the weather. It was SO cold, and it was pouring rain. Our bishop, Alan Turpin, conducted the service, and Aaron dedicated Luke's grave.


The flowers we bought for the top of his casket.


The graveside service was just our little family, our parents, our brothers and sisters and their families. Our ward set up a luncheon for us at the church afterward, and we were so glad to not have to worry about that. So many people helped us so much. We had meals brought in, flowers sent, offers of babysitting. We have great people in our lives.

No comments: